REGULAR MEETING AGENDA
City of Calexico
Fernando “Nene” Torres Council Chambers
608 Heber Avenue
Calexico, California 92231
Tuesday, May 17, 2016
Council Members Interim City Manager
Joong S. Kim, Mayor/Chairman Nick Fenley
Luis J. Castro, Mayor Pro Tem/Vice Chair
Armando Real, Councilman Interim City Attorney
Maritza Hurtado, Councilwoman Carlos Campos
John M. Moreno, Councilman
Gabriela T. Garcia
Next City Resolution Number: 2016-10
CLOSED SESSION AGENDA
CALL TO ORDER
(Not to Exceed 3 Minutes) This is the time for the public to address the City Council on Closed Session Items only. The Mayor will recognize you and when you come to the microphone, please state your name and place of residence for the record. While members of the public are encouraged to participate, it is unlawful to disturb or delay the Council meeting with personal or slanderous remarks. The City Council is prohibited by State law from taking action or discussing items not included on the printed agenda. Please direct your questions and comments to the City Council.
Adjourn to Closed Session.
A “Closed” Session of the City Council/Calexico Community Redevelopment Agency Successor Agency/ Calexico Financing Authority may be held in accordance with state law which may include, but is not limited to, the following types of items: personnel matters, labor negotiations, security matters, providing instructions to real property negotiators and conference with legal counsel regarding pending litigation. The Closed Session will be held in the City Hall Conference Room located at 608 Heber Avenue, Calexico, California. Any public comment on Closed Session items will be taken before the Closed Session. Any required announcements or discussion of Closed Session items or actions following the Closed Session will be made in the City Council Chambers, 608 Heber Avenue, Calexico, California.
1. PUBLIC EMPLOYEE APPOINTMENT
Government Code 54957 (b)
Title: City Manager
2. CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL – ANTICIPATED LITIGATION
Significant Exposure to Litigation, Pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9(d)(2)/(e)(1)
Two (2) potential cases
3. CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATORS
Agency Representatives: City Manager, City Attorney
Employee Organizations: Police Officers Association, Fire Fighters Association, Supervisors Association,
Certified Operators Association/SEIU Local 221, Calexico Municipal Employees Association.
(Govt. Code Section 54957.6).
CALEXICO CITY COUNCIL/CALEXICO REDEVELOPMENT
SUCCESSOR AGENCY/CALEXICO FINANCING AUTHORITY
REGULAR SESSION AGENDA
CALL TO ORDER
Call to Order and Attendance.
Pledge of Allegiance.
Closed Session Announcements.
Approval of the Agenda.
These proceedings may be viewed on the City of Calexico website at www.calexico.ca.gov the Friday following the City Council meeting.
4. Proclamation for Immigrant Heritage Month – June 2016.
PUBLIC COMMENTS AND PUBLIC APPEARANCES
NOTE: (Not to Exceed 3 Minutes) This is the time for the public to address the City Council on any item not appearing on the agenda that is within the subject matter jurisdiction of the City Council. The Mayor will recognize you and when you come to the microphone, please state your name and place of residence for the record. While members of the public are encouraged to participate, it is unlawful to disturb or delay the Council meeting with personal or slanderous remarks. If the item you wish to comment on is a closed session or consent item, please comment now. The City Council is prohibited by State law from taking action or discussing items not included on the printed agenda. If the item you wish to comment on is on the public portion of the agenda, we will take your comment when we get to the item on the agenda. Please direct your questions and comments to the City Council.
CITY COUNCIL COMMENTS AND REPORTS OF MEETINGS ATTENDED
CITY MANAGER’S REPORT
All matters listed under the Consent Calendar are to be considered routine by the City Council/Calexico Community Redevelopment Agency Successor Agency or Calexico Financing Authority and will be enacted by one motion in the form listed. Any item may be removed from the Consent Calendar and considered separately by the City Council.
5. Approval of City Council/Calexico Community Redevelopment Agency Successor Agency/Calexico Financing Authority Minutes for Meeting of May 3, 2016.
6. Warrants from April 27th to May 5th 2016 & City Salaries & Benefits from April 16th to April 29th 2016.
7. Approval of Resolution Delegating Liability Claims Handling Responsibilities to Hazelrigg Claim Management Services, Third Party Claims Administrator (TPA).
8. Application for Alcoholic Beverage License for North County Investments, Inc., Sky Fuel, 724 Emerson Avenue, Suite A, Calexico, CA 92231.
9. Application for Alcoholic Beverage License for 5 Brothers Fuel Stop, Inc., 105 W. Cole Blvd., Calexico, CA 92231.
ITEMS REMOVED FROM CONSENT CALENDAR FOR DISCUSSION
DISCUSSION AND POTENTIAL ACTION ITEMS
10. General Fund Update and Development of a Financial Work-Out Plan.
11. Allocation of $678,750 from the 2014 Measure “H” Sales Tax/Lease Revenue Bonds to the City’s General Fund to Balance Fiscal Year 2014-2015.
12. Set Public Hearing Date to Ratify Planning Commission Approval of Abandonment of Sheridan Street between Harold Avenue and Ollie Avenue.
13. Consideration of the following Ordinances:
a) Ordinance No. 1170 An Urgency Ordinance of the City Council of the City of Calexico, California,
Enacted Pursuant to California Government Code Section 36937 Adding Chapter 5.98 to the City
of Calexico Municipal Code Prohibiting Off-Site Display and Sale of Automobiles in the City.
b) Ordinance No. 1171 An Ordinance of the City Council of the City of Calexico, California, Adding
Chapter 5.98 to the City of Calexico Municipal Code Prohibiting Off-Site Display and Sale of
Automobiles in the City.
14. Funding of $1 Million Contribution towards the Calexico Swimming Pool Project.
15. Authorize Interim City Manager to Sign Change Order No. 1 with R.E. Schultz, Inc. in the amount of $28,000.00 for the Installation of Playground Equipment, Canopy and Safety Surfacing at Heber Park and Rockwood Plaza Park.
16. Discussion on City Fund Balances.
17. Appointment to the Charter Committee by Council Member Hurtado.
18. Consideration to Consolidate City Commissions, Boards and Committees.
19. Award Request for Proposal to AmeriNational Community Services to Provide Loan Portfolio Services for the City of Calexico Housing Programs and Authorize Interim City Manager to Sign Services Agreement with AmeriNational Community Services.
20. Appointment by Mayor and Council Members to Various Commissions, Boards and Committees:
a) Business Improvement District – Appointments by Mayor Kim & Council Member Hurtado
b) Recreation Commission – Appointments by Mayor Kim & Council Member Real
c) Financial Advisory Board – Appointments by Council Member Hurtado
d) Senior Citizens Commission – Appointment by Council Member Moreno
e) Street Naming Committee – Appointments by Council Member Real & Council Member Moreno
f) Historical Commission – Appointment by Council Member Hurtado
g) Beautification Commission – Appointments by Council Members Real & Council Member Hurtado
h) Library Board – Appointment by Council Member Castro & Council Member Real
i) Police Advisory Commission - Appointment by Council Member Real & Council Member Castro
j) Planning Commission - Appointment by Council Member Real
k) Measure H Committee - Appointments by Council Members Real & Council Member Hurtado
21. Status Report on Financial Audit.
22.Department Revenue/Expense Comparison Report.
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS
It is the intention of the City of Calexico to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act in all respects. If you are a person with a disability who requires a disability-related modification or accommodation in order to participate in a meeting, including auxiliary aids or services, please request such modification or accommodation from the City Clerk at (760) 768-2102. Notification at least 48 hours prior to the meeting will enable the City to make reasonable arrangements to assure accessibility to the meeting. Please advise us at the time whether you will require accommodations to participate in meetings on a regular basis. Any person affected by any application on this agenda may submit their concerns in writing prior to the meeting or appear in person and be heard in support or opposition to the proposal at the time the matter is considered on the agenda. The staff reports, applications and environmental documents may be viewed at either the office of the office of the City Clerk, 608 Heber Avenue from 8:30 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, except legal holidays. Telephone inquiries may be made at (760) 768-2102. If you challenge any agenda issue in court, you may be limited to raising only those issues that you or someone else raised at the public meeting described in this notice, or in written correspondence delivered to the City of Calexico at, or prior to, the public meeting.
This notice of agenda is hereby certified to have been posted on or before 8:30 p.m. May 13, 2016.
Gabriela T. Garcia, City Clerk
Agenda Back-up Documents: