(Agenda back-up documents are at the end of the page)
CALEXICO CITY COUNCIL/CALEXICO REDEVELOPMENT
SUCCESSOR AGENCY/CALEXICO FINANCING AUTHORITY
REGULAR MEETING AGENDA
City of Calexico
Fernando “Nene” Torres Council Chambers
608 Heber Avenue
Calexico, California 92231
Tuesday, December 1, 2015
Council Members Acting City Manager
Joong S. Kim, Mayor/Chairman Nick Fenley
Luis J. Castro, Mayor Pro Tem/Vice Chair
Armando Real, Councilman Interim City Attorney
Maritza Hurtado, Councilwoman Carlos Campos
John M. Moreno, Councilman
Gabriela T. Garcia
Next City Ordinance Number: 1167
Next City Resolution Number: 2015-63
CLOSED SESSION AGENDA
CALL TO ORDER
(Not to Exceed 3 Minutes) This is the time for the public to address the City Council on Closed Session Items only. The Mayor will recognize you and when you come to the microphone, please state your name and place of residence for the record. While members of the public are encouraged to participate, it is unlawful to disturb or delay the Council meeting with personal or slanderous remarks. The City Council is prohibited by State law from taking action or discussing items not included on the printed agenda. Please direct your questions and comments to the City Council.
Adjourn to Closed Session.
A “Closed” Session of the City Council/Calexico Community Redevelopment Agency Successor Agency/ Calexico Financing Authority may be held in accordance with state law which may include, but is not limited to, the following types of items: personnel matters, labor negotiations, security matters, providing instructions to real property negotiators and conference with legal counsel regarding pending litigation. The Closed Session will be held in the City Hall Conference Room located at 608 Heber Avenue, Calexico, California. Any public comment on Closed Session items will be taken before the Closed Session. Any required announcements or discussion of Closed Session items or actions following the Closed Session will be made in the City Council Chambers, 608 Heber Avenue, Calexico, California.
1. PUBLIC EMPLOYEE APPOINTMENT
Title: City Attorney
(Govt. Code § 54957(b))
2. PUBLIC EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE EVALUATION
Title: Acting City Manager
(Govt. Code 54957(b))
CALEXICO CITY COUNCIL/CALEXICO REDEVELOPMENT
SUCCESSOR AGENCY/CALEXICO FINANCING AUTHORITY
REGULAR SESSION AGENDA
CALL TO ORDER
Call to Order and Attendance.
Pledge of Allegiance.
Closed Session Announcements.
Approval of the Agenda.
These proceedings may be viewed on the City of Calexico website at www.calexico.ca.gov the Friday following the City Council meeting.
3. Update on Fiscal Year 2015-2016 Budget.
PUBLIC COMMENTS AND PUBLIC APPEARANCES
NOTE: (Not to Exceed 3 Minutes) This is the time for the public to address the City Council on any item not appearing on the agenda that is within the subject matter jurisdiction of the City Council. The Mayor will recognize you and when you come to the microphone, please state your name and place of residence for the record. While members of the public are encouraged to participate, it is unlawful to disturb or delay the Council meeting with personal or slanderous remarks. If the item you wish to comment on is a closed session or consent item, please comment now. The City Council is prohibited by State law from taking action or discussing items not included on the printed agenda. If the item you wish to comment on is on the public portion of the agenda, we will take your comment when we get to the item on the agenda. Please direct your questions and comments to the City Council.
CITY COUNCIL COMMENTS AND REPORTS OF MEETINGS ATTENDED
CITY MANAGER’S REPORT
All matters listed under the Consent Calendar are to be considered routine by the City Council/Calexico Community Redevelopment Agency Successor Agency or Calexico Financing Authority and will be enacted by one motion in the form listed. Any item may be removed from the Consent Calendar and considered separately by the City Council.
4. Approval of City Council/Calexico Community Redevelopment Agency Successor Agency/Calexico Financing Authority Minutes for Meetings of November 17, 2015, August 18, 2015, September 15, 2015, Special Meetings of September 15, 2015 and September 23, 2008.
5. Application for Alcoholic Beverage License for AI, California LLC, ALDI, 2450 Rockwood Avenue, Calexico, CA 92231.
6. Warrants from November 1, 2015 to November 15, 2015 and City Salaries and Benefits from October 30, 2015 to November 12, 2015.
7. Resolution of the City Council of the City of Calexico Authorizing the Acting City Manager to Execute a Right-of-Way Contract and Certificates of Acceptance for the City’s Acquisition of a Permanent Slope Easement in a Portion of Assessor’s Parcel Numbers 058-334-002 and 058-334-005 of the Cesar Chavez Boulevard Improvement Project.
8. Resolution of the City Council of the City of Calexico Finding and Determining the Public Interest and Necessity for Acquiring and Authorizing the Condemnation of Portions of Real Property Located at 926 Cesar Chavez Boulevard, Calexico, California 92231 (APN 058-244-001) for the Purposes of the Cesar Chavez Boulevard Improvement Project (Zuniga).
9. Resolution of the City Council of the City of Calexico Finding and Determining the Public Interest and Necessity for Acquiring and Authorizing the Condemnation of Portions of Real Property Located at 500 Cesar Chavez Boulevard, Calexico, California 92231 (APN 058-400-063) for the Purposes of the Cesar Chavez Boulevard Improvement Project (Meza).
10. Resolution of the City Council of the City of Calexico Authorizing the Acting City Manager to Execute Right-of-Way Contract and Certificate of Acceptance for the City’s Acquisition of a Fee Simple Interest in a Portion of Assessor’s Parcel Number 058-400-045 for the Cesar Chavez Boulevard Improvement Project.
11. Resolution of the City Council of the City of Calexico Authorizing the Acting City Manager to Execute Right-of-Way Contract and Certificates of Acceptance for the City’s Acquisition of a Fee Simple Interests, a Permanent Slope Easement Interest, and a Temporary Construction Easement Interest in a Portion of Assessor’s Parcel Numbers 058-400-046, 058-400-047 and 058-400-023 for the Cesar Chavez Boulevard Improvement Project.
12. Second Reading and Adoption of Ordinance No. 1166 of the City Council of the City of Calexico Repealing Ordinance No. 1144 and Amending Section 2.02.110 and Chapter 2.07 of the Calexico Municipal City Code Regarding the Appointment Process and Duties of the City Clerk.
ITEMS REMOVED FROM CONSENT CALENDAR FOR DISCUSSION
13. Public Hearing to Determine Whether there Exists a Majority Protest to Levying the Calendar Year 2016 Assessment for the Calexico Business Improvement District.
a) Adopt Resolution Assessing the Levy for the Calexico Business Improvement District
for Calendar Year 2016.
14. Public Hearing – New River Class I Bicycle Trail Project (State Clearinghouse No. 2015101007)
a) Adoption of Resolution No. 2015-____ of the City Council of the City of Calexico Approving and
Adopting the New River Class I Bicycle Trail Project Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration
(IS/MND) State Clearinghouse No. 2015101007.
15. Public Hearing – Gran Plaza Power Center (UA-2014-02) to Consider the following actions:
a) Approval of Resolution of Findings of Facts
b) Approval of Resolution for General Plan Amendment
c) Approval of Resolution for Zone Change
d) Approval of Resolution for Tentative Parcel Map
e) Approval of Resolution for Development Review and Building Height and Master Sign Program
Variance for Gran Plaza Power Center
f) Approval of Resolution for Certification of Environmental Impact Report with Monitoring Plan
DISCUSSION AND POTENTIAL ACTION ITEMS
16. Annual Maintenance Agreement for Spillman Technologies.
17. Temporary Reduction of Commercial and Industrial City Fees including but not limited to (Directed by Mayor Kim):
a) Development Impact Fees.
b) Building (Permitting & Inspection) Fees.
c) Fire Inspection Fees.
d) Business License Fees.
e) Planning Fees.
f) Engineering Fees.
18. Authorize Acting City Manager to Sign Change Order No. 3 with UNICOM Government, Inc. in the Amount of $569,711.64 for the Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) System Project.
19. General Services Administration (GSA) Request to Use 1st Street (Tourist) Parking Lot.
20. Request by Mayor Kim for City Council to Refer an Item to the Calexico Special Financing Authority for Funding of Public Restrooms and a Sports Facility.
21. Evaluation of City Commissions, Discussion on Mandatory Regular Monthly Meetings and Senior Citizens Commission. (Mayor Kim and Council Member Real)
22. Consideration by Mayor Kim to Remove His Appointee on the Business Improvement District.
23. Appointment by Mayor and Council Members to Various Commissions, Boards and Committees
a) Economic Development Commission – Appointments by Mayor Pro Tem Castro.
b) Business Improvement District – Council Member Hurtado and Council Member Moreno.
c) Recreation Commission – Appointment by Mayor Kim
d) Financial Advisory Board – Appointment by Council Member Hurtado
e) Senior Citizens Commission – Appointment by Council Member Moreno
24. Economic Development Administration Grant – Town Center Project Update.
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS
It is the intention of the City of Calexico to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act in all respects. If you are a person with a disability who requires a disability-related modification or accommodation in order to participate in a meeting, including auxiliary aids or services, please request such modification or accommodation from the City Clerk at (760) 768-2102. Notification at least 48 hours prior to the meeting will enable the City to make reasonable arrangements to assure accessibility to the meeting. Please advise us at the time whether you will require accommodations to participate in meetings on a regular basis. Any person affected by any application on this agenda may submit their concerns in writing prior to the meeting or appear in person and be heard in support or opposition to the proposal at the time the matter is considered on the agenda. The staff reports, applications and environmental documents may be viewed at either the office of the office of the City Clerk, 608 Heber Avenue from 8:30 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, except legal holidays. Telephone inquiries may be made at (760) 768-2102. If you challenge any agenda issue in court, you may be limited to raising only those issues that you or someone else raised at the public meeting described in this notice, or in written correspondence delivered to the City of Calexico at, or prior to, the public meeting.
This notice of agenda is hereby certified to have been posted on or before 8:30 p.m. November 24, 2015.
Gabriela T. Garcia, City Clerk
Agenda Back-up Documents: